Re: [LUG] CMS or what?

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 22:31:55 +0000
Neil Winchurst wrote:

> I am a member of a local MCTI group. (Market and Coastal Towns
> Initiative). Recently on their behalf I went on a seminar which was
> an intro to a CMS program which has been created especially for
> groups like ours to easily set up our own web site.
>
> I reported back yesterday and agreed to test the CMS out for them.
> Then I ran into a problem. At the seminar, of course, all the
> computers were running MS Windows. Now I have tried it out at home on
> my kubuntu set up it has failed with a message about needing to find
> the registry!!
>
> On checking further it appears that the CMS needs Windows to work
> properly, not Mac and not Linux. It even seems to need IE v 7 rather
> than v 6. So I have reported back to the chairman of the MCTi
> explaining that I will not be able to help them, and that I could not
> recommend using a program which is so biased one way.
>
> Meanwhile, I am wondering if I could help out by setting up the web
> site myself. It would not be a very complicated one, and I have
> written one already for myself.
>
> I have looked at Drupal and Joomla among others and also considered
> something simpler such as Bluefish or NVU. Most of the CMS programs
> out there seem to be rather too powerful for what we need and could
> have a steep learning curve.
>
> Anyway, if anyone has any comments or suggestion I would be grateful.
>
> Thanks
>
> Neil Winchurst

If you need a simple way to ensure that you can have multiple users
potentially adding content, each with their own login and settings, but
you don't want the complexity of a full-on CMS like Drupal and Joomla
and you don't fancy an overly-simplistic "here's a template... just add
your content" system either, then there are still some options for you.

I quite like using Wordpress for simply jobs.  There are tonnes of
plugins/addons/whatevers that let you manage your Wordpress site as a
CMS rather than as a blog.

Equally, there is also e107.

Grant.