Re: [LUG] Acer aspire one. alternative linux distros.

On 21/01/2009 16:52, Ray Smith wrote:
> My wife keeps pinching my laptop and I am forced to use my desktop to use
> linux.
> As I find I am very rarely using the desktop system (apart from when forced
> too), I only kept if to play games on anyway and no longer play many, I have
> cajoled, persuaded, sweet talked her into allowing me to get a netbook.
>
> I have decided on the acer one,possibly ordering it next week if my desktop
> sells in the few days and note it has linpus lite.
>
> In what sense is "lite" used as opposed to a full linux system ?

I don't personally have the Aspire One but I have done a bit of reading
up on them.  As far as I'm aware Linpus Lite is based on an older
possibly out of date version of Fedora.  I gather there is an update
available from the Linpus site.  IIRC you can add Fedora repositories to
add extra applications but from what I have read it's not as straight
forward as it could be.  I know Tom Brough has one (well his wife does)
so he could possibly advise you better.  Actually thinking about it,
maybe it's worth putting some info up, at least links on the DCGLUG Wiki.
> Looking at various wiki's it seems full ubuntu can be installed with the
> netbook remix added and not much needed (with intrepid anyway) to get
> everything running right.
> Also good reports of fedora 10 running with wireless&  sound working
> straight away.

I guess it depends what you're already used to.  I'm a big fan of Debian
based distros (I much prefer apt and dpkg over yum and rpm) so I'd go
for Ubuntu myself.
> Anyone got any experience of installing a different linux distro on one of
> these who might also be able to help with any pitfalls once I get it
> delivered ?

I'm sure someone in the list has.  If you decide to go down the Ubuntu
route I'd suggest joining the Ubuntu-UK mailing list as they are pretty
good for Ubuntu related support.  You'll also need either a USB pen
drive to put the LiveCD installer on or beg/steal/borrow/buy a USB
CD/DVD drive (or stick an IDE CD/DVD drive on a USB to IDE converter).

Actually thinking about it, if you're able to make it to the meet in
February at the Shoreline Cafe then maybe a couple of other members
could help with the install and bring along any necessary bits.

Rob