Re: [LUG] Acer aspire one. alternative linux distros.

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009, Ray Smith wrote:

> My wife keeps pinching my laptop and I am forced to use my desktop to use
> linux.
> As I find I am very rarely using the desktop system (apart from when forced
> too), I only kept if to play games on anyway and no longer play many, I have
> cajoled, persuaded, sweet talked her into allowing me to get a netbook.
>
> I have decided on the acer one,possibly ordering it next week if my desktop
> sells in the few days and note it has linpus lite.
>
> In what sense is "lite" used as opposed to a full linux system ?

My wife has one.

It's just got a lightweight window manager with big pretty icons. Think
"my first computer" ... Everything else is sort of OK under the bonnet.

I posted a link here sometime back to update it a bit and install xfce
which wifey likes better -

   http://blogs.nologin.es/slopez/archives/13-guid.html

Looks like it's 'depreciated' now though, but it'll still be valid.

> Looking at various wiki's it seems full ubuntu can be installed with the
> netbook remix added and not much needed (with intrepid anyway) to get
> everything running right.

You've got 8GB of 'disk'... The standard stuff comes with a union
filesystem driver, so you can plug in an extra flash card for it to give
you a bigger disk - not sure how a full distro might handle that though.

> Also good reports of fedora 10 running with wireless & sound working
> straight away.
>
> Anyone got any experience of installing a different linux distro on one of
> these who might also be able to help with any pitfalls once I get it
> delivered ?

You'll either need a USB cd/dvd drive for it, or the ability to put a
distro onto a bootable USB drive... Good luck!

Gordon