Re: [LUG] Greetings!

> Greetings to everyone here at D&C GLUG!

Helloo 8-)

> As I'm new around here I thought I might post a quick introduction about
> myself.
>
> I'm currently a first year Computing student at Plymouth Uni, and have
> been using computers for almost as long as I can remember. (Indeed, my
> third memory is of playing Elite on a BBC Micro, although it had been out
> for several years by then.)
>
> I've been using GNU/Linux for about 3 years, and a member of the FSF for
> 2. Wherever possible I try and use Free Software, and that includes much
> of the music I listen to. (Thanks to things like CC-BY / CC-BY-SA / FAL.)

I would be interested in listening to the free music, do you have any
sites where I can illegally download some MP3s ;-)

> I've tried quite a number of distros in the past. My first introduction
> was to Ubuntu (which is now one of my most disliked, thanks to the mess
> that was gobuntu.), then moving on to try Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, LFS
> (That was fun), gNewSense and now finally Arch. I'd like to continue using
> gNewSense, but because I'm a fan of seti@home I really need to make use of
> 64bit, which sadly gNS currently doesn't provide. I've come to love Arch
> however, and have been using it for a good many months.

Back when I were a lad... Caldera/Slack/RedHat/Debian/Gentoo/Ubuntu in
that order ;-) (I've been around a bit) not tried Arch..

I am running on a Quad core Phenom 9950, but it's got to be said, Ubuntu
is NOT as fast as Gentoo, might move back..

> When I'm not studying I tend to find myself building GNU/Linux Clusters in
> my room. I don't have much room (being in a student house and all), but
> found that Paper Trays are ideal cases for a cluster.

For SETI I presume ?

> Now I have only just started looking around the site, but it appears most
> of the meetings take place in Paignton? I'd be happy to try and organise
> some meetings (even if just social ones) in Plymouth if anyone is
> interested, especially if there are any other students around.

I've looked in to this in the past, one of the hurdles I've found is that
of insurance.. eg: what happens if we burn some hall down..?

I would love to help out in the organisation of meetings, I think that
semi regular meetings are a good idea, though probably best to avoid the
first saturday of the month as thats when Paignton meets seem to be
happening..

--
Neil