[LUG] Greetings!

Posted by "Stewart Starbuck" <sszhriir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Greetings to everyone here at D&C GLUG!

As I'm new around here I thought I might post a quick introduction about myself.

I'm currently a first year Computing student at Plymouth Uni, and have been using
computers for almost as long as I can remember. (Indeed, my third memory is of
playing Elite on a BBC Micro, although it had been out for several years by then.)

I've been using GNU/Linux for about 3 years, and a member of the FSF for 2. Wherever
possible I try and use Free Software, and that includes much of the music I listen
to. (Thanks to things like CC-BY / CC-BY-SA / FAL.)

I've tried quite a number of distros in the past. My first introduction was to
Ubuntu (which is now one of my most disliked, thanks to the mess that was gobuntu.),
then moving on to try Debian, Fedora, Gentoo, LFS (That was fun), gNewSense and now
finally Arch. I'd like to continue using gNewSense, but because I'm a fan of
seti@home I really need to make use of 64bit, which sadly gNS currently doesn't
provide. I've come to love Arch however, and have been using it for a good many
months.

When I'm not studying I tend to find myself building GNU/Linux Clusters in my room.
I don't have much room (being in a student house and all), but found that Paper
Trays are ideal cases for a cluster.

Now I have only just started looking around the site, but it appears most of the
meetings take place in Paignton? I'd be happy to try and organise some meetings
(even if just social ones) in Plymouth if anyone is interested, especially if there
are any other students around.

Now I'm hoping I can make myself useful here. I'm constantly learning new things
about GNU/Linux, but wherever I can I'm more than happy to offer any support, either
here or in person.

Well I think that's about it. Thanks for reading!
--

Generated by the contributors page
in the members area at D+C GLUG
http://www.dcglug.org.uk/members/list.php