Re: [LUG] Transfering slides to digital

Simon Robert wrote:
> Hi
>
> for a very long time I've been wanting to transfer 100's of slides my
> father took in the 60's onto a PC. I looked at an HP scanner which
> claimed to do this, but turned out to be a cruddy slide holder which one
> scanned on a flatbed scanner.
>
> I noticed places, like The Guardian tech pages, advertising special
> gizmos for doing this. Of course these said PC or Mac only. Then the
> other day I came across a similar gizmo that transferred the slide
> either to an SD card or to its' own memory.
>
> I bought this, at worst I can transfer from an SD card. However it turns
> out that the gizmos internal memory is a standard USB mass storage
> device and is thus completely compatable with linux.
>
> I now wonder if this is the case with all of these devices? Does anyone
> know? Although the one I bought costs around the same as the other
> similar devices it is only available in the US (delivered in 4 days!)
> and thus needs a transformer (which I already owned luckily).
>
> The device I bought is an Imagelabs Instant Slide Copier. Ordered from
> ThinkGeek (who have a fab catalogue of mostly useless gadgets - like a
> doormat with "There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1" and a t-shirt that lights
> up when within range of an unsecured wifi hub, at rather high prices).
>
> Anyone have any experience with these devices?
>
> Simon

I have an Epson Perfection V200.  It takes up or 4 slides at once or a
film strip of six negatives.  Quality of scans is pretty good at default
levels and it automatically numbers them by whatever prefix you set for
each batch, e.g. if you have some from 'Spain1980' it would number them
'Spain1980001', 'Spain1980002' until you gave it a new prefix.

Basically you can crack through a lot of negatives or slides in a
relatively short space of time.  My previous scanner was an Epson
GT-7000 which had a separate lid for scanning negatives or slides.  A
bit more versatile tbh as it took up to 1/4 plate glass negatives, but
only one at a time.

Of the type you mention I can only see the Summit Photofix Film Scanner
available in the UK.  Googling the Imagelabs one came up empty.

Kind regards,

Julian