Re: [LUG] Warning from my ISP

On Wed, 14 Jan 2009, David Bell wrote:

> I have just received this from my ISP:
>
> <As you may be aware, the number of attempted security attacks in the
> UK has recently been on the rise, and yesterday we detected a higher
> than usual number of attempts to gain access to FTP accounts on our
> network. Whilst we are confident none of these attacks was
> successful ....>
>
> Users have been requested to change passwords. FTP access has been
> denied to all accounts until this has been done. Has anyone else
> received a similar warning?

No, but I bet they've had a break-in and are now bolting the doors...

I get attacks on all my servers[1] all the time - FTP, POP3, SSH, etc.
It'll never go away, so the best thing you can do is make sure you have
very good passwords. I run "crack" & "john" regularly to make sure the
punters haven't put up something obvious, but it's only a matter of time
before someone's (win) PC gets hacked, a keylogger installed, then any
sort of good password, etc. that you might have goes out of the window.

My experience is that most hackers are not intersted in reading your
email, etc. (unless you'r someone famous!) but more intersted in abusing a
server to send spam.

Gordon
[1] I run a small hosting company amongst other things I do!