Re: [LUG] Ubuntu upgrade

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:03:49 +0000
bjrus@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> Posted by "Brian Russ" <bjrus@xxxxxxxx>
>
> I tried updating my Ubuntu 7.1 to 8.04 via the Update manager. All
> seemed to go well but on restarting (as told to) the orange bar
> oscillates on the usual logo screen for 2-3 minutes then jumps to a
> never-ending text-on-black message concerning something missing. In
> the end I managed to catch this so will forward it to anyone who is
> willing to try providing some assistance to me. --

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the list. :)

There have often been problems upgrading from one version of Ubuntu to
the next.  The recommended approach is to ensure you have a backup of
your important data (or have it on a separate partition) and install a
vanilla Ubuntu instead of upgrading.

The latest Ubuntu version is 8.10 and a new one is due out in April
(9.04).  8.04 is the "Long Term Support" version, so there will still
be security updates for it for quite some time yet.

If you could get the error to us, that would be very helpful.

Regards.
Grant.