Re: [LUG] more mpc merriment...

Tom Potts wrote:
> I got my viglen updated to Xubuntu 8.04 , swap added etc.
> I just used the 'users and groups' gui to try and add some proper users,
> change the passwords etc and got no users listed?
> I closed the thing and then tried to do some other stuff - lots of complaints
> about no root user. Thought I'd close my X session and now cant do anything.
> No users seem to exist and I can log on as anything!
> err wot now..

Does it allow booting from a LiveCD, and see what happened to the
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow files.

There is a "pwck" (and grpck) in /usr/sbin for just this sort of problem.

My guess is the "root" (uid 0) entry got changed or deleted.

Does sound like the utility you used was buggy, or not appropriate in
some way. Wonder if it had the good sense to back up the passwd and
shadow files?