Re: [LUG] Ubuntu Java

2009/1/9 peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I need to discover which Java Ubuntu ships with.  I am running 8.04 (but
> have installed Sun) but can only find a live disk for 7.04 which tells
> me Java version "1.5.0", gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.1.

In the live environment you could enable the multiverse repo and then run:-

sudo apt-get update
apt-cache show sun-java5-bin | grep Version

If you want to install it you could:-

sudo apt-get install sun-java5-bin or sun-java6-bin

Then run java -version...

> One needs only to enter java -version at the prompt.

Alternatively you could check online:-

http://packages.ubuntu.com/ -> sun-java-bin, choose feisty from the
drop down.. hit search.
1.5.0-11-1ubuntu2: amd64 i386