Re: [LUG] VPN

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Brown Richard wrote:

> Hi Guys
>
> I hope all are well and have enjoyed their Christmas and a happy new
> year to you all.
>
> I am just setting up a vpn but once set-up I'm not sure how to use it.

Maybe you don't need it then? :)

> Do I route traffic through a router to our file server etc and if so
> ho do I know I am still secure?

Insufficient data... As a computer somewhere might say...

What are you trying to achieve?

Home PC  to Remote LAN?
Home LAN to Remote LAN?
Home PC  to remote PC/Server?

Or some other combo?

And then there's the type of PC, what software it's running, etc. although
I suspect it's safe to say something, somewhere is running Linux :)

One thing I will say - if accessing a remote file server over the
Internet, don't expect it to be fast. It's trivially easy to completely
swamp your broadband line (or the far-ends broadband line) accessing files
remotely over a VPN.

Give us a bit more details to work on...

Gordon