Re: [LUG] missing mouse pointer Fedora 9

in the xorg.conf file
there is no info re mouses

Ok, so there is an xorg.conf file, but there's no pointer references in said configuration file.

I have not loaded any video drivers but just set the display to a 22"
flat screen monitor.

If you haven't added anything, then it will use the 'nv' driver by default. Perhaps you could attach your xorg.conf file and the log file (/var/log/Xorg.0.log). There's likely to be some helpful information there for diagnosing what the actual problem is.

Actually, before you do that, you could try just adding the mose stuff to the xorg.conf file manually to see if it suddenly starts working. Without knowing exactly what kind of hardware you're using, it's hard to say what should go in the xorg.conf file, but the relevant bits of mine are:

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

and make sure that Mouse0 is included in the server layout:

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

If adding those sections doesn't work, post your xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files and we'll see if we can spot the problem.