Re: [LUG] changing file names again

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008, Simon Robert wrote:

> sorry about being hopeless, but...
>
> I don't know enough about ftp macros to be able to put one together. I'm
> not sure if ftp rename uses wildcards anyhow, so any renames would be
> arduous.

A way round it might be to get a directory listing in a text file, then
edit the file to contain lines like:

   rename cindi_001-l.jpg cindi_001.jpg
   rename cindi_002-l.jpg cindi_002.jpg
   etc.

then copy & paste the file into the FTP command line...

Crude but effective, esepcially if you can automatically generate the
commands above. Sometimes brute force is easier...

> I need to rename, for example, cindi_001-l.jpg to cindi_001.jpg.
>
> The cms app that this site runs has a rename app using regular
> expressions. I've tried, but can't get it to work, would anyone know the
> regexp for the above change?

A substitute regexp to change cindi_001-l.jpg into cindi_001.jpg might
look like

   s/-l\././

(the dot's just there in-case there's more -l in other bits of hte
filename - probably not needed)

but how the CMS would interpret that is anyones guess, and there are 2
"native" wildcard rename commands in various Linux installations that
behave differently IIRC.

Maybe post a screen-shot of what CMS rename page to give us a clue to what
it might be expecting?

Gordon