Re: [LUG] VoIP and ISP

Gordon Henderson wrote:

> So before I start: Disclaimer: I sell VoIP, PBXs and adapters, etc. I
> also don't sell VoIP to save money - I sell it to increase flexibility.
> It is possible to save money on calls, but that's not my primary reason
> for it.
>

> On Tue, 23 Dec 2008, Henry Bremridge wrote:
>
>> I am trying to move to VoIP and currently use Vonage, but am told by
>> "the powers that be" that voice quality is not good enough.
>
> Quality means a lot of things to a lot of people. It's one of the
> biggest headaches I have - almost as bad a hearing "my computer doesn't
> work" is "the phone sounds bad" ... Narrowing down the actual "quality"
> part of a connection is sometimes quite hard.
>
> In terms of pure audio quality, (assuming no packet loss), if the device
> you are using (ATA, desk phone, soft phone, etc.) is using a G.711 CODEC
> then the quality of the call should not be discernible from the quality
> of a standard call placed over the BT network - because BT use G.711
> CODEC inside their own digital network once the analogue call hits the
> exchange.
>
> In many cases it should actually be better, as you don't have the
> analogue signal going over 50 year old copper wires to the exchange
> before the conversion to digital happens.
>
> So what can go wrong, quality wise.
>
> Firstly the provider (or device) might be using a compressed CODEC. In
> simple terms there is G.711 which although compressed in one manner of
> speaking isn't "lossy", then there is everything else which is "lossy".
> (Compare PNG which is compressed but not lossy vs. JPG which is both
> compressed and lossy)
>
> G.729 is popular, but there are others. GSM we're all familiar with as
> it's used on our mobile phones. G.726 is typically used between DECT
> handsets and their base-stations.
>
> Transcoding degrades quality - like copying copies of VHS tapes, or
> continually edit/save/edit/save JPG images. DECT phones typically use
> G.726 between the handsets and base stations, so a DECT phone connected
> to an analogue adapter which when converts to VoIP can be quite "lossy"
> indeed: analogue -> G.726 -> analogue -> G.711 -> VoIP ...
>
> Compression is often used on international links too - especially if the
> call is bridges to the PSTN at some point. That can really make things
> worse. One of my wholesale providers gives me the option of 2 different
> rates - one which they call their "gold" rates and that's using better
> routes for some calls (presumably lower/no compression). Costs more though.
>
> The other issues you might get is echo. But that's another bag of wurms
> in it's own right )-:
>
> Then there's the quality of the phone you're using. If a headset on a
> PC/Laptop, how good is it really? Do some local recordings and check.
> Sure, sound cards might be dolby zippity doo dah on the output side, but
> what's their input quality like?
>

> And not all desk phones are created equal. Grandstreams, which I like,
> [...]

Wow that really was in-depth!

I'm really looking forward to this Asterisk talk.  I managed to unlock
my Vonage box (Linksys router) but never did manage to get it to work
with another provider (I tried Sipgate without success).  Saying that
though, if I could get Sipgate working, maybe I wouldn't need to
implement Asterisk.

Rob