Re: [LUG] VoIP and ISP

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 09:55:19AM +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> I had a Vonage router (Linksys box) a while ago when I was with Vonage
> and the quality was fine.  I had it connected to the ADSL router and
> then everything else connected to the Vonage box as the Vonage box was
> providing QoS.  However I canceled that service a while ago.  I then
> recently re-signed up with Vonage and got one of their little D-Link
> VoIP adaptors.  Unfortanately the quality of that was very poor.  It
> didn't have QoS and my ADSL router hasn't got it either.  So I wonder if
> changing the router (even if you can borrow one with QoS) might help?

Ah... I have Qos on my linksys router but cannot point it at the Dlink ATA box. I
can amend QoS settings but only for
FTP
HTTP
Telnet
SMTP
POP3
and three specific ports

So have activated QoS and set all to low, ie presumably everything else will have
high priority....

Will therefore try straight VoIP using Gradwell as supplier and see if I can get
better quality.

> Other than that, I believe that IPCop has an addon available for QoS.
> If you have an old machine kicking around you could possibly try that
> (connect the IPCop box to your router and then everything else into the
> IPCop box via a switch).

Hmm, that might be an idea. Will see if I can pick up a network card when I am next
in town and see if I can do something.

Tks

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.