Re: [LUG] VoIP and ISP

On 23/12/2008 08:21, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> I am trying to move to VoIP and currently use Vonage, but am told by "the powers
> that be" that voice quality is not good enough.
>
> Can anyone provide recommendations to improving voice quality?
>
> Issues that I have seen / heard are the following
>
> - Implement QoS on the router
> - Upgrade the router
> - Change from Vonage to another provider
> - Change Internet Connection to a fixed line speed (rather than a variable max
> rating)
> - Make sure ISP does not limit VoIP
> - Get VoIP phone rather that relying on Vonage

I had a Vonage router (Linksys box) a while ago when I was with Vonage
and the quality was fine.  I had it connected to the ADSL router and
then everything else connected to the Vonage box as the Vonage box was
providing QoS.  However I canceled that service a while ago.  I then
recently re-signed up with Vonage and got one of their little D-Link
VoIP adaptors.  Unfortanately the quality of that was very poor.  It
didn't have QoS and my ADSL router hasn't got it either.  So I wonder if
changing the router (even if you can borrow one with QoS) might help?

Other than that, I believe that IPCop has an addon available for QoS.
If you have an old machine kicking around you could possibly try that
(connect the IPCop box to your router and then everything else into the
IPCop box via a switch).

Rob