Re: [LUG] OpenSource, Devon County Council

jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Paul Sutton writes:
>
>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>
>>> I have been advised that Devon County Council has 6782 Microsoft Office licenses
>>> and currently have no plans to look at OpenOffice<snip>
>>> Seems a bit of money waster to me.
>>>
>>> My initial idea was to write to: local MPs, local Councillors and ask them what
>>> steps they were taking to save money. But I suspect that we also need to get the
>>> local press involved as well. Christmas is probably a bad time to raise it:
>>> maybe in the new year. If anyone has any ideas then please advise
>>>

>> Good point there come 2009 i intent to write to local MP adn councillor
>> and ask why OSS is not under consideration, given the current economic
>> climate.
>>
>> We need more public events,  so thats another plan for 2009,  get the
>> general public along to Lug type meets and explain the alternatives,
>> then ask them to write to their MP / Councillor asking why is taxpayers
>> money being spent on something when there are alternatives to this
>> software,  that are free (as in freedom) but from the taxpayers
>> perspective at no cost,
>>
>> the money saved could perhaps then be spent on in the case of toilets
>> keeping them open all year and upgrade them to 21st century standards,
>> or perhaps repair some of the potholes in the road.
>>
>> Paul
>>
> ...I know that this isn't on the same level but I have recently been trying
> to get my stepdaughter to mention Linux to her school teacher. She is
> convinced, however, that they don't have any paticular systm on the
> 'workstations' that they use at school. I guess that the systems have been
> personalised to an extent so that when she logs in she's met with 'Hillfort
> Primary School Computer Sysyem-Please Log In' or something similar. I have
> tried to explain to her that underneath that the computer is more that
> likely a Windows system but it makes no differance to her. I have Ubuntu
> installed on the laptop that she uses at home and I'm hoping that if I keep
> onto her she will mention it. But at the levil she uses it I don't suppose
> she can see why a different system will make any differance. THat's not to
> say her teacher won't appreciat the differance though. Any suggestions for
> making a suggestion from a lowly parent have some kudos that might make Mrs
> Teacher sit up and take me seriousily?
> CHeers, JOn

It depends on how "open minded" people are, and in some cases how much
time they have, however on school forge they are starting to build up
free curriculum lesson plans / resources etc, which need to be promoted
along side free software, so openoffice + lesson plan + schemes of work
etc etc all as one package, from various sources, but 1 document or web
page to link them together.

Perhaps at a future event someone can go through how to edit the lug
wiki and as a group we can start putting our resources on the actual
wiki, i have done some stuff, but really need help putting more
resources on to it.

In the mean time, just get the word out there, kids love stickers, so
perhaps send for some ubuntu stickers for your daughter to give out at
school <£2 for 40 would be a good investment, or stick these to school
folders, books they write in (if they are allowed to decorate), etc. oh
and penguin stickers. too.

Paul