Re: [LUG] OpenSource, Devon County Council

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> I have been advised that Devon County Council has 6782 Microsoft Office licenses
> and currently have no plans to look at OpenOffice (the exact wording is "A project
> brief has not yet been produced.  The outcome of the Boundary Committee Review of
> Local Government in Devon that has been underway during 2008 will have a
> significant influence on any strategic review of the Office Suite and associated
> desktop strategy.")
>
> Seems a bit of money waster to me.
>
> My initial idea was to write to: local MPs, local Councillors and ask them what
> steps they were taking to save money. But I suspect that we also need to get the
> local press involved as well. Christmas is probably a bad time to raise it: maybe
> in the new year. If anyone has any ideas then please advise

Good point there come 2009 i intent to write to local MP adn councillor
and ask why OSS is not under consideration, given the current economic
climate.

We need more public events,  so thats another plan for 2009,  get the
general public along to Lug type meets and explain the alternatives,
then ask them to write to their MP / Councillor asking why is taxpayers
money being spent on something when there are alternatives to this
software,  that are free (as in freedom) but from the taxpayers
perspective at no cost,

the money saved could perhaps then be spent on in the case of toilets
keeping them open all year and upgrade them to 21st century standards,
or perhaps repair some of the potholes in the road.

Paul