Re: [LUG] Backup solutions

On Thu, December 18, 2008 16:36, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
> 2008/12/18 Steve Marvell <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering what methods people use for backup, and if they have
>>> any recommendations? I've decided it's time I take backup a little
>>> more seriously, following on from some hideous data accidents
>>> recently.
>>
>> Is this a regressive backup or just disaster recovery?
>
> Ideally I'd like to perform incremental backups, but failing that a
> disaster recovery would be a lot better than what I'm doing now so
> that the next time I accidentally delete the contents of an essay 4
> hours before deadline I should at least have something there.
>>
>> What is it that needs to be backed up? What types of data; files,
>> databases?
>
> Mostly files: text documents, photos and videos for the most part. I
> think it would probably be easiest to just backup the entire /home
> directories, just excluding all dot files.
>
>> How often does the data change? Does some change significantly, whilst
>> other bits change irregularly? Does the data increment or alter?
>
> I guess it's reasonable to assume that for a period of time at least,
> data will be altered a lot (e.g. while I'm working on an essay, I'll
> be constantly saving it), but on the whole I wouldn't expect folder
> contents to alter significantly more often than on a weekly time
> scale.
>
> HTH, and thanks for replying...
>
> Jon

The tool I use for backup is "rdiff-backup". it can backup over SSH and
offers differential backups over a period of time.. you can then choose to
recover from a set time (hours, days, weeks, months, years even) ago..

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.
                -- Dylan Thomas

Disclaimer:

By sending an email to me addresses you are agreeing that:

1. I am "the intended recipient";

2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself
to; in particular, I may quote it on usenet or publish it online;

3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company;

4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may
be included on your message.