Re: [LUG] Backup solutions

2008/12/18 Steve Marvell <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Jonathan Roberts wrote:
>
>> I was wondering what methods people use for backup, and if they have
>> any recommendations? I've decided it's time I take backup a little
>> more seriously, following on from some hideous data accidents
>> recently.
>
> Is this a regressive backup or just disaster recovery?

Ideally I'd like to perform incremental backups, but failing that a
disaster recovery would be a lot better than what I'm doing now so
that the next time I accidentally delete the contents of an essay 4
hours before deadline I should at least have something there.

> What is it that needs to be backed up? What types of data; files, databases?

Mostly files: text documents, photos and videos for the most part. I
think it would probably be easiest to just backup the entire /home
directories, just excluding all dot files.

> How often does the data change? Does some change significantly, whilst
> other bits change irregularly? Does the data increment or alter?

I guess it's reasonable to assume that for a period of time at least,
data will be altered a lot (e.g. while I'm working on an essay, I'll
be constantly saving it), but on the whole I wouldn't expect folder
contents to alter significantly more often than on a weekly time
scale.

HTH, and thanks for replying...

Jon