[LUG] OT: Re: avoid HP this xmas

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 07:11:09PM +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
> Simon Robert wrote:
> > mmm, well I think we'd better add a veil to this slip... And OK even if
> > they did used to be the house of sax batternburg (or whatever) they's
> > now been totally kipplinged and is exceedingly good monarchs!
> >
> Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.. changed to Windsor after WWI with all the
> anti-German sentiment around.

Albert was Saxe-Coburg and Gotha; Victoria was Hanover on her father's
side and Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld on her mother's.

Then of course you have a century of the House of Hanover before that
(even more German than Victoria; the first two could barely speak
English -- an improvement on the current lot, at least, who talk far too
much), and then over a century of Scots before that (with a Dutch bloke
for good measure).

If people must insist on being patriotic, they may wish to find a better
standard for "Englishness" than the royal family. We had Europeans in
charge long before the EU. ;)

--
Benjamin M. A'Lee || mail: bma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
web: http://subvert.org.uk/~bma/ || gpg: 0xBB6D2FA0