Re: [LUG] I thought this might get a bit of a reaction

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Steve Lee wrote:

> http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/12/linux-stop-holding-our-kids-back.html

It's back to teaching concepts and not what button to push next. Today, we
need to edit some text and print it later - use the editor of your
choice... And not: Now launch Word...

I've (sadly) heard some Linux enthusiasts say the same - from the Linux
side of things.

We need to teach the use of tools and concepts than absolute entities.

So this isn't the UK, however ever over here we seem to have been
assimilated into the MS culture in our schools. Witness the recent exam
fiasco - of all the formates they accepted - most of them were proprietary
MS formats - it could be said that not accepting DOC was nice, but the
only alternative was PDF....

Gordon