Re: [LUG] OT: Video Projectors

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008, Richard Brown wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I am just about to purchase a video projector and I have to admit I
> can see no reason why a video projector wouldn't work with Ubuntu...
> but just in case has anybody had any experienced of running an Ubuntu
> set-up and a video projector. Has anybody any thoughts on what
> projector to buy. I was looking at this:
> <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-VPL-ES5-Video-Projector/dp/B0016623T8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228834776&sr=8-1>
>
> Does anyone know of a good value, quiet system. Although the system
> will be used for presentations etc it will also be replacing our tv at
> home.

I've used laptops and projectors many times - I use Debian though. The
biggest issues I've had is making sure the laptop (external) video
hardware and Linux talk to each other in a nice way - so you might get the
screen going, but get nothing at all out of the external connector - or
worse, push the blue Fn key with the monitor switch key and crash the
laptop )-:

Sometimes they'll only work if you plug the external display in before
powering up, sometimes you can switch, sometimes it's a 2nd screen....

Too many possibilities...

If you're simply swapping the regular display of something that isn't a
laptop you'll be fine - as long as you can make the display output to the
native resolution of the projector.

If it doesn't "just work", and I'm sure there have been many improvements
in this area recently, then keep trying - eg. by plugging it in before
powering it up and so on. You'll find a combination that will work for
you.

I can't comment on the actual device though - I've never owned one - I
think I'd look for bulb life though and do treat them nice - turn them off
peoperly - which will usually mean leaving them plugged in after you turn
them off to let the fan cool the bulb properly.

Gordon