Re: [LUG] Getting a Windows refund from Acer

Neil Williams wrote:
> Nice to see the reverse for once - so many still think that Windows is
> easy to install and everything else is hard. It just isn't true.

Windows *can* be very easy, but then so can Linux if you just want a
standard install without any non-standard hardware.  Both can be a pain
if the hardware isn't supported by the OS's own drivers/modules.

To put the other side, I just reinstalled Windows on my desktop and it
took under 2 hours including all the drivers for the motherboard and
hardware.  The main aspect with any reinstall, for any OS, is
preparation.  Viv was hampered by Acer not providing any XP drivers and
I can sympathise with the menace that must have been, whereas in my case
they were all in the same place so it was just a question of disk
swapping until all the 'Unknown' icons disappeared in Device Manager.

Linux can be just as hard (or easy) to install - it all depends on
whether you have the additional drivers/modules to hand that your
hardware requires.  As an example, it took me weeks to get wireless
working on my old Compaq laptop because the Cardbus slot wasn't
supported natively in Linux at the time and then I had to get MADWifi
working.

To put it in a 'real world' context:  Consider if you had to hang a
picture up and had two types of hook.  You have the screws for one to
hand, but you'd have to go out and buy the others.  That doesn't make
one better than the other, simply that the preparation for one was
better than the other.

Kind regards,

Julian