Re: [LUG] Ethernet connected photo quality printer - advice please

David Brook wrote:

> I have been unable to find the answers to such practical issues as how
> it can resolve two or more concurrent print requests from networked
> hosts without interleaving or even interprinting on the same pages, what
> happens if a spooling host dies 'mid spool', how do you kill off a 'bad'
> print job etc. etc. - loads of practical issues spring to mind.

Network printers usually present as a BSD style print queues, so they
accept "print jobs", and the queue is full till that job is complete.

The old HP JetDirect print servers (and HP printers with them built in)
use to "round robin" requests. So if you had two machines connected
wanting to send stuff it would print one (complete) job from A, then one
from B, then one from A, then one from B. I'm not sure how this was
implemented in detail, as I never had one busy enough for it to be an
issue, I assume it must of have some way of slowing or holding open
incoming print requests whilst it was busy printing. So it isn't
absolutely necessary to have a print server.

On a GNU/Linux network using CUPS you can add the (network) printer to
one box, and it will queue requests, whilst advertising that printer to
all CUPS clients on the network.

Windows print server do something similar, and can be access from GNU/Linux.

But the last two set-ups assume you have a server always on to talk to
the network printer, for small networks it is easier just to add the
printer to all the machines, but not any good where you could have a
rogue print job and not get an answer by shouting "who is using the
printer?".

Some printers have enough memory to have a queue inside the printer, but
that tends to be high end printing equipment. I remember one, which you
told it your email address, and you could scan documents in the printer
and email them to yourself. Or straight out of the company network -
industrial espionage made easy - if you preferred or entered your email
address wrong.