Re: [LUG] OT PIC examples/lessons

On Thursday 04 December 2008 23:28, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> PV solar always seems to be to be very very expensive for the power
> density possible. Where as you could probably home brew a wind generator
> capable of 1000w for comparably little expense.
I'm intending to produce a three or four piece 'kit'
1) Simple inverter 'controller' to drive powerswitch/transformer for whatever
volts you want (aiming to do a 12v 0.5kva 50/60hz unit to be driven by a car
alternator...) for off grid. ~£50 per 1/2kva
2) Simple grid connected controller for above - just does minimum legal to
push power into the grid to keep your bills down. £100 ? Should work for PV
or
3) Smarter controller to allow you to charge grid/claim grants etc
all single phase but  £100?
4) 3 phase controller - probably actually part of 3 but more sensors so £100

As for cheap wind generator:
A bloke called Ken Upton patented and let the patent drop (nice man) for a
thing called a conveyor. Imagine a (==) railway track with vertical sails on
it. Self powering sushi bar!
Now imagine same as two rotating columns connected  with wire loops top and
bottom and simple plastic sails attached between them. Small gearing and car
alternator for power in one column, attach to two chimneys on roof of house.
Should give you a 1kva for ~£300
+ 2 inverters and 1 controller =£500
All of above assuming mass production an minimum profit - quite happy to make
£10 per each installation - should get 1M in the uk alone.
Tom te tom te tom