Re: [LUG] File and Programme Servers

Mark Evans wrote:

> Steven Coté wrote:
>

>> It's definitely better to keep services on separate machines, but if
>> paring down to a single physical box is what you have to do, then maybe
>> virtualisation is the way to go.
>>
>> Without knowing why the boss wants to get rid of the other fileserver,
>> it's hard to know if that will solve your problem, but it's definitely
>> worth looking at.
>>
>> By doing this, you could set up 3 different virtual machines, one for
>> the intranet, one for the fileserver and one for the app server. Each
>> would appear to be a completely different computer, but they all share
>> the same physical resources.
>>

> This is important to remember. The virtual machines are all sharing the
> same CPU, memory bandwidth, network bandwidth, disk bandwidth, etc of
> the actual machine.
> The actual OS of the machine is also going to take a share of machines
> resources. If more than one of the VMs is likely to make intensive use
> of the same resource then things can come unstuck. As well it being
> quite possible that a single machine powerful enough would be more
> expensive than 3 machines speced appropriatly.

Maybe one way around this would be to use VMWare ESXi server which
includes it's own bare bones OS (Linux based I believe).  It's not Free
as in freedom and you'd need supported hardware but it might ease
things, especially when used with a Virtulisation capable processor
(such as any AMD AM2 processor or the Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad/Core i7).

Rob