Re: [LUG] OT:To Raid or Not Raid (That is the Question)

On Fri, 28 Nov 2008, Nicholas Thomas wrote:

> Heh, amusingly, we use these a lot at work because their tiny power drain
> makes them nice and cheap to run. They make pretty decent servers - not
> exactly quad-core opterons, but they do the job, and it means our customers
> get cheap dedicated hosts :D.

I did seriously look at this recently:

   http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10404

Only space for one drive each though, however...

And the box I built yesterday is going into the data centre for a general
purpose LAMPy type server..

> The dual-core (Atom 330) version is better at doing media stuff than the
> single-core version was, but if 'twere me, I probably wouldn't use it for
> anything particularly heavy-duty in that respect.
>
> I'm rather eagerly awaiting AMD's answer to the Atom - sensible northbridge,
> AMD goodness. What could possibly go wrong? :p

They could make it twice the price )-:

Gordon