Re: [LUG] Greetings from York! - Remote hands?

Nicholas Thomas wrote:
> On Thursday 27 November 2008 19:14:53 Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> alex mclennan wrote:
>>
>>> hi all,i just been reading all the messages,how cool is it that a guy
>>> 300+miles away can ask for help and almost instantly gets it,this should
>>> be printed in the newspapers,it restores ones faith in human kindness.
>>> alex the noob
>>>
>> Yep, I bet the Windows community wouldn't be so quick to help ;-)
>>
>> Now has anyone near Torbay got a Phenom compatible AM2/AM2+ motherboard
>> by any chance?
>>
>> If so, would they be willing to help me test my chip/motherboard? :-)
>>
>> (My other motherboards are Intel or AMD Socket A)
>>
>> Ta,
>>
>> Rob
>>

> One of the reasons I <3 linux so much is the community :) - well, that and the
> fact that it's responsible for my current job existing :D. Mind you, it can
> get hairy on IRC sometimes. Mailing lists are best :).

Yep, I often pass the time just reading the Devon & Cornwall LUG &
Ubuntu UK mailing lists (for research purposes of course ;-)
> Memories about my sister's PC are coming back to me, and I'm now reasonably
> sure it's a socket 754 sempron64 (they didn't make many of those!) with no
> SATA. Now, I do have an AM2 motherboard (ECS thingy) with an X2 CPU (3800+? no
> heatsink or fan - I butchered that recently to stop my hard drives from
> overheating) sat right in front of me, which I'd be happy to post down to you
> for keeps? I can get bundles of such things from aforementioned work, so I
> really don't need it. Actually, I've been eyeing up a 5000+ X2 that's sat
> around doing nothing there... :D.

That would be great, I've RMA'd the board with MSI.  It's not even a
year old but since I've passed on my Pentium Dual Core to my other half
I'm a bit stuck.  I have a spare AMD CPU cooler (from the Phenom)
kicking around.  It's just annoying when these things go wrong.  I had a
similar problem with my old Athlon 64 a couple of years back.  I had a
stack of Socket A or Socket 478 board but no Socket 754 boards.
> Whether I could get away with the extra heat load is entirely another
> question, though. ISTR heat output increases with the cube of the MHz? I'm
> already running dangerously close to the edge...

Well I found one solution is to stick a couple of big fans in there.  My
main PC however hasn't had the side on it for going on 3 months and it's
got a nice sheet of fluff in the bottom of it.

Rob