Re: [LUG] Greetings from York! - Remote hands?

On Thursday 27 November 2008 19:14:53 Rob Beard wrote:
> alex mclennan wrote:
> > hi all,i just been reading all the messages,how cool is it that a guy
> > 300+miles away can ask for help and almost instantly gets it,this should
> > be printed in the newspapers,it restores ones faith in human kindness.
> > alex the noob
>
> Yep, I bet the Windows community wouldn't be so quick to help ;-)
>
> Now has anyone near Torbay got a Phenom compatible AM2/AM2+ motherboard
> by any chance?
>
> If so, would they be willing to help me test my chip/motherboard? :-)
>
> (My other motherboards are Intel or AMD Socket A)
>
> Ta,
>
> Rob

One of the reasons I <3 linux so much is the community :) - well, that and the
fact that it's responsible for my current job existing :D. Mind you, it can
get hairy on IRC sometimes. Mailing lists are best :).

Memories about my sister's PC are coming back to me, and I'm now reasonably
sure it's a socket 754 sempron64 (they didn't make many of those!) with no
SATA. Now, I do have an AM2 motherboard (ECS thingy) with an X2 CPU (3800+? no
heatsink or fan - I butchered that recently to stop my hard drives from
overheating) sat right in front of me, which I'd be happy to post down to you
for keeps? I can get bundles of such things from aforementioned work, so I
really don't need it. Actually, I've been eyeing up a 5000+ X2 that's sat
around doing nothing there... :D.

Whether I could get away with the extra heat load is entirely another
question, though. ISTR heat output increases with the cube of the MHz? I'm
already running dangerously close to the edge...

/Nick