[LUG] Securing Exim4

I've decided that I'm going to open up my mail server to the outside
world, and so it will need a bit of securing.

I'm running Dovecot and Exim4.

I have been through the Dovecot stuff and I think I've got IMAPS sorted,
but I'm struggling with secure SMTP.

I have read /usr/share/doc/exim4-base/README.Debian and done what I
think needed doing, and when I run nmap against my server, it now
advertises SMTPS on :465, but I cannae get it to actually work (I
think).  I'm testing it by changing my Thunderbird settings (in a
separate profile) and trying to send a message to a GMail account I have.

When using "SSL", I get the following unhelpful error message on
Thunderbird:
The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections.

When using "TLS", I get the more helpful error:
Unable to connect to SMTP server "fileserver" via STARTTLS since it
doesn't offer STARTTLS in EHLO response.

I don't really know what it is I'm supposed to be doing to get my SMTP
server to accept encrypted connections and use some form of
non-plain-text authentication.  There's no way I am forwarding any mail
ports to my server until I get this sorted!

Any input would be very greatly appreciated as I'm a bit out of my depth
here... but that's what learning is about! :D

Cheers.
Grant.