Re: [LUG] vista cost you two hours a week

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 04:57, Dave Foxcroft <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Grant Sewell wrote:
> aashish kumar wrote:
>
>>     Vista is based on Unix????????????????????????
>>
>> no Vista is not based on Unix but Linux and Mac OSX are based on Unix
>> architecture.
>>
>> Aashish
>>
> Tom's reply to your "Vista is copied from OSX" comment was
> tongue-in-cheek. Of course Vista is not Unix based (although it does
> have some level of POSIX compliance), but to be fair, your comment
> (Aashish) did deserve that.
>
> Incidentally, OSX uses a Darwin kernel, which is built around XNU, a
> kernel that combines the Mach 3 microkernel, various elements of BSD and
> an object-oriented device driver API. Historically, BSD has been
> considered a branch of UNIX — "BSD UNIX", because it shared the initial
> codebase and design with the original AT&T UNIX operating system. Mach
> was developed as a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of
> UNIX. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3. So,
> essentially, OSX is a UNIX system. Linux, on the other hand, is an
> operating system kernel used by a family of Unix-like operating systems.
> A Unix-like operating system is one that behaves in a manner similar to
> a Unix system, while not necessarily conforming to or being certified to
> any version of the Single UNIX Specification.
>
> (Thanks to Wikipedia for explaining things better than my hectic
> thoughts could :D)
>
> Grant.

It would be interesting to see just how much *nix code is buried deep
within Vista!

D.

Well what i wanted to point out that ( in vista is copied from OSX) many features of Vista have been taken from OSX. and by the way thanks for telling that windows does include some code from BSD. i didnt know about it. have a look at this video
http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=N-2C2gb6ws8