Re: [LUG] vista cost you two hours a week

aashish kumar wrote:

>     Vista is based on Unix????????????????????????
>
> no Vista is not based on Unix but Linux and Mac OSX are based on Unix
> architecture.
>
> Aashish
Tom's reply to your "Vista is copied from OSX" comment was
tongue-in-cheek. Of course Vista is not Unix based (although it does
have some level of POSIX compliance), but to be fair, your comment
(Aashish) did deserve that.

Incidentally, OSX uses a Darwin kernel, which is built around XNU, a
kernel that combines the Mach 3 microkernel, various elements of BSD and
an object-oriented device driver API. Historically, BSD has been
considered a branch of UNIX — "BSD UNIX", because it shared the initial
codebase and design with the original AT&T UNIX operating system. Mach
was developed as a replacement for the kernel in the BSD version of
UNIX. It is compatible with the Single UNIX Specification version 3. So,
essentially, OSX is a UNIX system. Linux, on the other hand, is an
operating system kernel used by a family of Unix-like operating systems.
A Unix-like operating system is one that behaves in a manner similar to
a Unix system, while not necessarily conforming to or being certified to
any version of the Single UNIX Specification.

(Thanks to Wikipedia for explaining things better than my hectic
thoughts could :D)

Grant.