Re: [LUG] Low-power file/mail/web/print server...

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>> I've been mulling over this for a while now, and I'd appreciate some
>> input from you lot on it.
>> Basically I'm looking to replace the box I've had running as an
>> all-purpose 1-user homeserver.  I've pretty much boiled it down to
>> either a Debianised Buffalo HS-DH320GL 320GB Linkstation Live (ebuyer
>> code: 139061) or one of those Viglen MPC-L boxes with an external USB
>> harddrive.
>>
>> My thoughts on this so far as that the Buffalo, although it has a larger
>> capacity it is harder to make it fully useful (ie Debianising it) and if
>> there are problems with it, it is likely to be harder to troubleshoot,
>> whereas the Viglen has less storage but can easily be expanded and it
>> should be relatively trivial to Debianise it, since it can be used
>> locally too it should be easier to troubleshoot if things do go wrong.
>>
>> I'd appreciate your input and experiences.
>>
>> Cheers.
>> Grant.
> Anyone got any thoughts? I'm still leaning towards a Viglen with bigger
> harddrive.
>
> Grant.

Well it's probably one of the most low powered devices you can get that
will run standard x86 code, other option I guess would be maybe a Via
based MiniITX board or even an Intel Atom based motherboard (although
IIRC it uses about 20 odd watts due to the power hungry chipset).

Rob