Re: [LUG] HP Laptop drivers

aashish kumar wrote:

>     Hi Aashish,
>
>     What was it you struggled to get drivers for?  I have an HP G6092 and
>     now have everything on it working brilliantly (although the wireless
>     does occasionally still cause issues, it's not common).
>
>     Grant.
>
>     --
>
> Hi Grant.
>
> My story is a long story. I have HP DV6516. First of all in BIOS there
> is no option for disabling SATA support.(as XP doesnt have built in SATA
> drivers) I have to find XP with built in SATA drivers. After a little
> searching on google i found XP with SATA drivers. And it installed
> perfectly but I was unable to install the drivers as it displays the
> message the drivers will run only on Vista. I contacted HP they told me
> that your laptop is specifically built for vista so no support is
> provided for XP. In other words no drivers are provided for XP. Then I
> found ubuntu with sata drivers but i was not able to find any of the
> drivers which works on my laptop.So I am using Vista Home premium for
> which my laptop is "specifically built" lol
> By the way have you installed Linux on your laptop??

Aashish,

Does your bios mention anything like AHCI?

This seems to be an issue on newer machines and XP generally asks for
drivers on a floppy which of course these machines generally don't have now.

Any chance you could find out what SATA controller you have on your
laptop (ideally with the PCI Vendor and Device ID's if possible).  I'll
have a look when I have a few minutes free and see if I can find a
matching driver which you could use to make a bootable CD with.

Ta,

Rob