Re: [LUG] Linux PC supplier

Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 21:04:44 +0000
> Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Hello Rob,
>
>> Not delt with them myself but they do have a machine reviewed in the
>> latest Linux Format and IIRC they have been advertising in Linux
>> Format for the past couple of years.
>
> I've not bought LF in, what, three years, so missed the ads.  I saw one
> of their adverts on Facebook and decided to have a look.
>
> I asked about them because I'm looking to buy/build a new machine, as my
> current one (eight years old) is starting to creak a little.  I /could/
> build one, but a semi-custom box would take a lot of grief out of the
> equation.  Hence my asking about EfficientPC.
>
> Thanks for your input, Rob.

No problem.  The EfficientPC Wraith gets 8 out of 10 in the Linux Format
roundup.  It's basic spec is a Celeron E1200 1.6GHz (Socket 775 dual
core CPU based on Core 2 but with a lot less cache - something like 256K
in total I think), Intel GMA950 graphics chipset, 1GB DDR2 memory, 160GB
hard drive, and Ubuntu Hardy.

You get the base unit for about £210 inc VAT.  Keyboard, Mouse and
Monitor are extra.

It's in a little Shuttle case so it's a small machine.  Doesn't appear
to have any sort of DVD drive though.

Still, for just over £200 it ain't bad.  Presumably they also have other
case options for if you want to add more hardware.

Rob