Re: [LUG] ASUS Eee PC 1000

John,

You go to www.ubuntu-eee.com and download the .iso file
which you save on your desktop. Then go to
unetbootin.sourceforge.net and download the version for your
OS (MS or Linux).

Stick your USB stick (2GB recommended) into your computer
and run Unetbootin - it will come up with a gui: select the
disk image option, choose iso from the drop down list and
use the browse button to pick the ubuntu-eee iso you just
downloaded.

Go to the selection boxes at the bottom and choose Type:
USB and Drive: whatever (will depend on your system).

Then it should just be a matter of waiting a few minutes
and netbootin will tell you your bootable USB is complete.
Unmount it carefully and you're away. Really is as
simple as it sounds.

Unfortunately you now come to what I found the most tricky
part - persuading your eee-pc to boot from the stick.
You'll need to get into BIOS and change the boot
settings but I can't remember the exact details of how
to do this.

As far as Simon's comments about eeeubuntu being a
better distro - he may well be right, I don't know
'cos I haven't tried both but I will say I've
had no problems at all with ubuntu-eee myself so, your
mileage may vary, as they say [shrug!].

Regards,

Trewornan

--- On Fri, 7/11/08, John Hansen
<whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: John Hansen <whitover@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [LUG] ASUS Eee PC 1000
> I am interested in installing ubuntu-eee but am not
sure
> how I do it.
> You write "download the iso and use
netbootin".
> This is not something I have done before. How do I
actually