Re: [LUG] ASUS Eee PC 1000

On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 21:24 +0000, kevin wrote:
> My Daughter has just aquired a ASUS Eee PC 1000 from IT247
>
> It has the Xnadros Linux on it which works fine out the box but She is
> used to some apps which arn't in the repros Gtkpod Gimp Amsn
>
> Can you sugguest some more repros to put in the /etc/sources.list or
> even an alternative distro ?

Debian runs nicely on the Eee.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC

> And of course how to get a new Distro on the Machine (no DVD drive )

net installer copied onto a USB stick - that's the default way of doing
installs on all devices like this.

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Install

If this is a solid state drive, choose ext2 rather than ext3, then go
for XFCE instead of the default desktop (which would be GNOME).

I used this method to install Debian on my Acer Aspire1. I haven't had
time to configure everything yet but there are many Eee units out there
running Debian with all the relevant bits of hardware enabled, however,
setting things up does take time. This isn't (yet) a simple installation
in the way that Debian would normally install onto a desktop PC or a
full size laptop. Expect to do quite a lot of tinkering and post-install
configuration. Once installed, of course, you get access to all the
packages available from Debian.

--

Neil Williams