Re: [LUG] Opening attachments in thunderbird

Julian Hall wrote:
> Neil Winchurst wrote:
>> Perhaps I should add that at the moment clicking on an attachment or a
>> URL in an email has no effect at all.
>>
>> Neil
> Hi Neil,
>
> What options have you got for forwarding, inline or as attachment, and
> how about where you save them?  I don't honestly knwo if these are
> relevant but they'r the only 'attachment' settings I can think of.  Have
> you looked in the config editor?
>
> *Possibly* try this from Mozilla....
>
> Removing all the settings for attachment-handling actions
>
> If Thunderbird doesn't seem to be performing attachment-handling actions
> as it should, or if certain options are grayed out (not selectable) when
> they shouldn't be, and you can't resolve the issue, it could be due to a
> corrupted "mimeTypes.rdf" file. Thunderbird uses this file to store your
> file-handling preferences for specified file types. Deleting it
> sometimes cures the problem. To do so:
>
> 1. Exit Thunderbird if it is running.
> 2. Recommended: make a temporary backup of your Thunderbird profile (or
> at least of the mimeTypes.rdf file).
> 3. Delete mimeTypes.rdf from your Thunderbird profile folder.
> 4. Restart Thunderbird to see if the problem has been fixed.
>
> Also just found this online for Thunderbird not opening URLs in
> Firefox.. may help..
>
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/15898.html
>
> I had this problem and to be honest I have no clue how it was resolved..
> possibly a bad install or update.. has it ever worked properly?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

I was using Gutsy until just recently and clicking on a URL in an email
opened up Firefox and the correct web page. (I have actually set up
Hardy as a dual boot with Gutsy so I can run either. I have just gone in
to Gutsy again to test it and it works fine. I just can't remember how I
did it.)

So to answer your last question, in Gutsy it works just fine. In Hardy
(installed about a week ago) it has never worked.

Neil