Re: [LUG] xresets when trying to use video hardwre

Paul Sutton wrote:
>  > By "proper" driver, I'm guessing you mean a proprietary nVidia one.
>
> Yes but this problem just recently started to happen, so unless I need
> to update this driver, or something else has changed, Its working properly.
>  >
>  > Can you run the application in question from the command-line and send
>  > any output to a text file? So:
>  > $ wine blah.exe > blah.exe.output
>  >
>  > Grant.
>  >
> Ok i can't do what you just said there,  as i havent' got the code thing
> yet to open the codeweavers program, However I get the same issue with
> the Linux version openarena,  i run it and it restarts x putting me back
> to the login screen
>
> from a console window openarena > output.txt fails.  so I tried from a
> tty1 (normal full screen console)
>
> I just get blank files
>
> So its not just codeweavers software that is causing this,  something
> seems to be trying to access graphics file somewhere that is then
> causing X to restart.  I have NO windows games or software installed
> under that at present,
>
> so I can't redirect the out put any where, and have no way to copy /
> paste the erros accuratly into a file (sorry if there is a way to do
> it,  I don't know how,  if there is a log file some where I don't
>
> I think the problem seeems to be with SDL,  but am unsure,
>
> Output MUST be directed somewhere to a log file,  I just don't really
> know where to look I have looked in /etc/X11 as that has some log files,
> but nothing seems to show up,
>
> Paul
Hi Paul,

This might be a long shot... has your distro recently upgraded your
kernel version to one with the same number? For example, I just did a
system update on my current Ubuntu and it 'upgraded' my kernel from
2.6.24-21 to 2.6.24-21. I had to re-make my wireless and DVB-T drivers.
I didn't have to do anything with my nVidia ones because they were
updated at the same time, but if I used a downloaded-from-nVidia set of
drivers, I most likely would have had to re-install them too.

I seem to recall this issue happening to me a few times a few years ago
with my GeForce II card (that dates it). The 2D part of things works
fine but anything that tries to initialise the 3D side of the 'drivers'
caused X to go into a hissy fit.

Might be worth a shot.

Incidentally, /var/log is the place to be looking for log files.

Grant.