Re: [LUG] External Hard Drives - any to avoid?

Simon Waters wrote:
> Simon Williams wrote:
>> What I really don't understand is the 500Gb Maxtor drive (which came as
>> an external package rather than me shoving it in one) I bought for my
>> server to make backups with. That often does strange things with large
>> transfers as well, which isn't really inspiring.
>
> Define strange things? Alas Tesco's cheap 500GB Maxtor's are sold out,
> and the 1.5TB versions are in stock now but rather expensive.

I use it to make backups. It's been formatted ext3. When not in use the
drive remains unmounted. Then I mount, and start the backup. A few
minutes later I get lots of messages on the command line and in dmesg
about the drive not responding or something similar. I have to stop the
backup, unmount the drive, and remount it again (similar to the problem
I have with my cheap USB box/adapter). Fortunately because it's only for
backups it doesn't matter if this means the data is corrupted when this
happens because rsync will detect it.