Re: [LUG] External Hard Drives - any to avoid?

That's reminded me of something...

What sort of experience have people had with USB drives in Linux? I'm
starting to think that there's something majorly wrong with Linux's
usb-storage driver.

I've got numerous USB flash drives (64Mb-1Gb) and those all work fine.
But my experience with hard disks is terrible. I bought a USB 2.5" HDD
box, which works fine with my laptop (USB 1.1). Plug it into my PC (USB
2.0) and it gets stuck with large transfers and I have to rip it out and
start again. Same thing with a dual purpose (3.5" or 2.5") adapter I
bought. Admittedly these are both cheap pieces of rubbish from HK, but I
wouldn't expect them to break with USB 2.0. They seem to work OK in windows.

What I really don't understand is the 500Gb Maxtor drive (which came as
an external package rather than me shoving it in one) I bought for my
server to make backups with. That often does strange things with large
transfers as well, which isn't really inspiring.

Anyone know if I'm just unlucky or are there genuine problems somewhere?

Thanks.
Simon