Re: [LUG] This might be old but...

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:31:16AM +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:
> > http://yro.slashdot.org/yro/08/10/15/2222209.shtml
> >
> > "The Communications Data Bill (2008) will lead to the creation of a
> > single, centralized database containing records of all e-mails sent,
> > websites visited and mobile phones used by UK citizens. In a
> > carnivore-on-steroids programme, as all vestiges of communication
> > privacy are stripped away, The BBC reports that Home Secretary Jacqui
> > Smith says this is a 'necessity.'"
>
> How exactly are they planning to do this? People encrypt mail. So they
> don't just need every ISP, they need all mail providers- and not just
> major mail providers like gmail, etc, they need all private mail servers
> as well. Even *I* have a mail server.

1/ Most people do not send mail using secure smtp / secure imap, so even if the
content is encrypted the sender and recipient addresses are not

Similarly most non- voip phone calls are made to a landline. (I have only seen one
retail provider so far offering pgpfone with voip: www.tivi.com.)

And finally most people browse the web from either their home or office

2/ This is what the Bill creates: a database of who communicates with who. Not what
they are saying. ie if you send a lot of emails to a particular person who is then
deemed to be a terrorist then you will be of interest to the anti-terrorist police
as well. At that point then presumably the police will then look more carefully at
you.

3/ Problems:
- a terrorist who is otherwise normal but plans and communicates with other
terrorists on a secure link
- a terrorist group who buys access to a bot-net and communicates that way.

ie this Bill will weed out the stupid wannabe terrorists but not touch the more
dangerous ones

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents