[LUG] Strange booting...

Hi all,

I have now managed to get BackTrack 3 Final installed to the harddrive
of my laptop.  It works very nicely bar one thing... it won't boot
nicely.

Now, when I say "nicely", what I mean is this.  It will start to boot
(I presume) but the screen stays blank.  Should I provide the machine
with an ACPI event (power button, power cord removal/insertion, etc)
then the screen comes on and it starts/continues to boot properly...
until, that is, it reaches the "fd0 is 1.44mb" stage.  When it gets to
that part, if the power cord is not present, it freezes.

I've tried various kernel options but nothing seems to make any
difference.

Anyone got any thoughts?
Grant.