Re: [LUG] DVLA

On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 18:16 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Neil Stone wrote:
>  >
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/02/dvla_data_sharing/
> >
> > *ugh*
>
> I noted this as a hole in my defences when I got a parking ticket for
> parking in what I believed was the car park of the pub I had lunch in
> one day.
I know this is off topic - but was it a privare car park you stayed in?
If ity was, they were not entitled to fine you. It is a matter of
contract law.

On topic (more or less): since unscrupulous private car parking firms
levy illegal fines by fooling everyone into thinking they have this
right, using the same style of notice for Car Parks established under
the road traffic act, it is outrageous that they can request this
information and then use it in a scam which they are fully aware of.

> Oh and buying up pub car parks and turning them into poorly signposted
> car parks is an excellent money making scam^W scheme.
Indeed it is. If you are chased up, you *might* be taken to the County
Court and damages of the parking fee would be awarded - hence no-one has
been taken to court!! They rely on people being fooled into paying to
avoid the threats that are made - baillifs etc - being carried out.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk