Re: [LUG] difficult start up

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 08:53:39 +0100
james kilty wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I have had problems restarting my kubuntu after installing ubuntu on a
> free partition. It took 3 goes.
>
> Any thoughts on one of the problems?
>
> Log of fsck -C -R -A -a
> Fri Sep 26 08:20:03 2008
>
> fsck 1.40.8 (13-Mar-2008)
> /dev/sda3: clean, 18069/3662848 files, 726934/7323631 blocks
> fsck.ext3: Unable to resolve
> 'UUID=af7e9966-bea7-48b4-b780-4ab9bf7669a2' fsck died with exit
> status 8
>
> Fri Sep 26 08:20:03 2008

Hi James,

*Ubuntu use a disk's UUID to uniquely identify it so it doesn't matter
where the disk is (primary master, secondary slave, whatever) it'll
still work... however, if the UUID changes and that change is not
reflected in your fstab and menu.lst then you will have problems
booting it.

My recommendation would be, if for nothing other than to eliminate this
as the issue, to:
+ boot from the Ubuntu or Kubuntu install CD in "LiveCD" mode
+ check what your partition's UUIDs are by:
 - running "ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid" (you may need to do this with sudo)
 - finding out which entry is which by matching it up with "fdisk -l" or
   a graphical partition manager (gparted?)
+ once you know the UUID for the various partitions you're interested
in, open up the menu.lst for the operating system in question (if
Ubuntu was the most recently installed, than it's most likely the
menu.lst in your Ubuntu setup rather than the Kubuntu setup) and check
to see if it's pointing to the right place.  For example, in my
menu.lst I have:

title           Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-15-generic
root            (hd1,0)
kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-15-generic
root=UUID=70b4945e-eb7f-40cf-ad51-2325230d02b7 ro splash vga=792
initrd          /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-15-generic
quiet

You will also need to edit the fstab of *that* operating system to
reflect the change too.

NB If your Ubuntu setup is working then you can do this from there
instead of booting from a LiveCD.

Grant.