Re: [LUG] nfs/cups for windows

On Friday 19 September 2008 09:10, Rob Beard wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > I have a w2k machine that I sometimes use for Visual Studio - I need to
> > maintain a project until I can convert it into pure FLOSS.
> > Due to its physical situation it is the best placed to be print and file
> > server and, rather than confuse my missus and kids by trying to explain
> > how to print/fileshare when daddies having a coding fit I was wondering
> > if anyone had tried configuring w2k for NFS and CUPS serving?
> >
> > Tom te tom te tom
> >
> > And no I don't want to virtualise the w2k!
>
> Not sure about NFS, but presumably if you share the printer you should
> be able to access it from a Linux box with Cups.  If I remember
> correctly I was able to connect to my other half's printer on her XP
> desktop from my Ubuntu box by just adding it.  I just went through the
> wizard and selected Windows Printer via SAMBA.
>
> One option for file sharing would be to share a folder on the Windows
> machine (or even a whole drive) and mount it using cifs/smbfs using the
> command line such as...
>
> mount -t cifs -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword
> //windowsmachine/sharename /mount/point
>
> or
>
> mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword
> //windowsmachine/sharename /mount/point
>
> Actually doing it that way you'd probably have to be root, but you can
> put the options into fstab for anyone to be able to mount the share.
> That's how my kids PC connects to my server to share things like videos
> and pictures.
>
> If you're using Ubuntu (and I presume Debian) you'd probably need to
> install the smbfs package.
Cheers for that - I was hoping for CUPS on windows as I want this to be
invisible to the linux user.
The nfs/smb mount can be done by a script checking whats available and
mounting that so thats invisible but using smb or cups would require user
intervention in the choice of printer and all that entails! Or some wierdy
script to swap default printer about but cups never seems to really know if
the printer is actually there or not from on of my machines.
Tom te tom te tom