Re: [LUG] Opening a Terminal

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:32:26 +0100, peter <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am not sure I have the terminology correct here, but I used to be able
> to do away with the GUI and into one of a number of "terminals" by
> pressing (I think) Ctrl, Alt, F2 to F10?
>
> This was use full when things get a bit screwed up as one can quite
> elegantly shutdown.
>
> But I do not seem able to do it any longer?
>
> I am using Ubuntu, can anyone suggest what the key sequence is?
>
> All the best
>
> Peter L-J

Hi Peter,

In my experience, if you boot Ubuntu with all the fancy graphical startup
nonsense, then for some reason your "normal" terminals become unavailable.
Editing your bootloader's config file (/boot/grub/menu.list in most normal
Ubuntu cases) and removing the "splash" and "quiet" sections seem to work
for me.

Grant.