Re: [LUG] Suse online upgrades?

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 07:21 +0100, Tom Potts wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 September 2008 22:08, Rod Sheaff wrote:
> > Tom
> >
> > On Tuesday 09 September 2008 14:16:32 Tom Potts wrote:
> > > Are there any Suse users out there who can tell me if you can do online
> > > upgrades like you can on Ubuntue etc?
> >
> > Yes, via YAST
> >
> > > I can I add another install source from somewhere and off it goes or is
> > > that beyond novell?
> >
> > Yes, also via YAST, if 'install' means an install of openSuSE and other
> > software; but not if 'install' means install another distro alongside
> > openSuSE.
> The only info on the Suse site was from 2005.
> My machine has a lot (I mean a LOT) of stuff on it
> Do I just add the next versions repository to the list of sources or is there
> - like Ubuntu etc - an app/switch you can set that checks and lets you know?
> Tom te tom te tom
> >
> > > Also for moving from Suse to opensuse...
> >
> > As I recall, it depends how old your version of SuSE is. Some but not all
> > allow 'system update', again via YAST.
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Rod

if you go to computer/yast and then software repositories and tick all
the options then all needed repositories should be installed. openSuse
should then ask you if you want to install updates in much the same way
that ubuntu does. BTW I've had no probs with kde 4, but this was a clean
install and not an upgrade.