Re: [LUG] Disk order swap at boot

Rob Beard wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
>
>> I had a machine with Suse10.1 installed on a PATA hard drive.
>> I've inserted a SATA drive and when installing Ubuntu I found I had to tell
>> the bios to use the SATA as the first hard drive to stop the Ubuntu (64bit
>> alternate) using the PATA drive swap first.
>> Now the Ubu works fine but I cant boot into Suse10.1 for the Ubu grub unless I
>> hit the bios to swap the drives around again, or edit all the suse menu.lst
>> drive references.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a way I can tell linux (in either setup) which order to
>> see the disks?
>>
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>
> Not sure if it helps, but I think you could do with using UUID's.  From
> what I understand, each partition has it's own unique UUID which is
> something like 20 characters.  Ubuntu (at least the recent versions
> 7.04, 7.10, 8.04 I think) use UUID's in FSTAB to decide what to mount
> and where.  I'm not sure exactly how to find out the UUID's of the Suse
> partitions but I'm sure a Google search will help.
>
> Rob
If you know the current Linux partition name (hdXY or sdXY) then it's
relatively easy to find out what the UUID is.  Simple go to:

/dev/disks/by-uuid

and you should find some symlinks to the actual device names.  For
example, on my desktop system I have:

70b4945e-eb7f-40cf-ad51-2325230d02b7 -> ../../sdb1
c27d80ae-3749-418a-9133-27b8a8903339 -> ../../sda1
d88fc3eb-34c7-4b7a-ae4c-f38a727cccc6 -> ../../sdb5

Please note that different partitions/filesystem types have different
length UUIDs.

Grant.